It's Heritage Harvest Weekend at Bursledon Windmill. On Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 September, visit the mill for craft stalls, nature trails and free windmill mini-tours as part of Heritage Open Days.
Not only are there plenty of activities taking place at the mill over the weekend, but you can join in with the fun from home with this delicious bread recipe from Gary the Miller - coffee drinking optional! ☕
1 x 1 pint tankard strong wholemeal flour
1 x 1 pint tankard strong white flour
1 x sachet dried yeast
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 pt warm water
- Firstly, boil the kettle, as you'll need a coffee!
- Pour both the white and the wholemeal flour into a clean, dry bowl.
- Add the yeast to the warm water and stir, leave for five minutes.
- Add the sugar and the salt to one side of the bowl and add the yeast mixture to the other side of the bowl.
- Stir the mixture with a spoon until it has clumped together.
- Knead the mixture for about 10 minutes, then cover it in cling film and put in the airing cupboard (or somewhere warm) for an hour to rise.
- After an hour, knead the dough for a further 10 minutes and leave for it an hour.
- Have another coffee!
- Turn the oven to gas mark 6/ 180 c°.
- Grab a tin to put the dough into and add a smidge of butter – otherwise it’s a right bother to get out when cooked!
- Put the dough in the tin then put it in the oven on the middle shelf for 25-30 minutes.
- When the timer rings take it out and put onto a cooling rack to cool - ta da!
Add butter and jam (or your filling of choice) to taste and have another coffee to celebrate!